On Monday 13th October 1873, a tragic accident at Filey brought great sadness to a family and community in rural Nottinghamshire. The Scarborough Weekly News records the incident in detail and describes the deep gloom pervading the town. Mr Charles Paget and his wife Ellen of Ruddington Grange near Nottingham, together with Ellen's sister , Miss Tebbutt, were staying at 20 The Crescent in Filey. Whenever they spent holidays at Filey their greatest pleasure was to walk along the shore and on to the brigg.

On this particular day they must have intended to walk some distance as they were accompanied by a local girl, Emma Proctor, who acted as a guide to persons venturing further onto the rocks. When the accident happened the group had made their way round to the Scarborogh side of the Brigg. By this time the tide was flowing fast and a heavy southwesterly wind, which had prevailed for some time had brought a substantial swell.

The waves were crashing upon the rocks producing a "mighty mass of pure white foam". The party had been standing on a ledge near the second cave or 'doodle' near to 'Emporer's Bath' watching the waves for 15 minutes or so. The guide warned that they should be making their way back because although the spot was rarely covered at high tide, the water was already splashing up and filling the inlets. Mr Paget expressed a wish to wait a little longer when suddenly a wave of extaordinary volume towered over them and washed the party into the sea.

The return wave threw Miss Tebbutt and Miss Proctor back onto the rocks. Miss Proctor was able to climb to safety using seaweed secured to the rocks where she was able to shout to nearby anglers, Willis and Scales, who rushed to their aid. The men found Miss Tebbutt in a distressed state clinging to a projected rock and, despite her resistance to leaving the scene, carried her over the rocks to safety.

Once the alarm had been raised, crowds gathered on the rocks surrounding the scene of the accident but from the time that Mr & Mrs Paget were washed into the sea nothing more was seen of them. By the time Miss Tebbutt and Proctor had reached the sands a carriage had been brought to carry them back to the lodgings. On hearing of his father's tragic death, Joseph Paget offered £100 reward for the recovery of the bodies but despite every attempt and coastguard vigils day & night, they were never seen again.

As a token of love & esteem, the family erected a memorial stone on Filey Brigg close to Agony Point. This was intended to warn others of the danger.

On 29th April 1993 the stone was discovered lying amongst the rocks and can now be seen on the wall of the garden at Filey Museum. A picture of the stone showing the inscription can be seen in the Memorial Album.